tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 27 06:35:21 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] points, lines, triangles, general shapes, higher dimensional geometry, and related vocabulary

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
> I'd really like to know more about Klingon vocabulary for geometry.
> We have {meyrI'} for "square", and we sort of have {gho} for "circle",

What do you mean "sort of"?

  meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'
  The circle is in the square. [qep'a' 2005]

  'Iw 'Ip ghomey
  "Blood Oath Circles" {title of sculpture) KCD

> and maybe we can somehow get rectangles and ellipses out of those, and

You're thinking of something like *{meyrI' tIq} "long/extended square" for rectangle and *{gho tIq} "long/extended circle" for ellipse?

> maybe we can abuse *{DoD} for *"point" and {tlhegh} for *"(straight)
> line" or *"line segment", but how is it possible that we don't know
> the Klingon word for "triangle"?  Their displays are full of nothing
> but triangles!

We have {Dop} "side" and {tajvaj} "angle", as well as {yor} and {pIrmuS}:

  The word for top is {yor}. This refers to the top side or
  top face of an object ... The word for bottom, the counter-
  part of {yor}, is {pIrmuS}.  [IMO, HQ 8.3]

'anan naHQun:
>>Don't forget {moQ} "sphere".

From TNK we see that {jengva'} - lit. "plate" - seems to be used for any type of disk:  {De' jengva'} "CD, compact disc".

But De'vID is right, more words for basic shapes and geometric relationships would be useful.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons