tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 12 21:24:29 2012

[Tlhingan-hol] New words: screw and nail

Qov ([email protected])

After completing a 75,000 word novel in Klingon, I felt somewhat
qualified to identify gaps in the language, and when the debate over
aspect threatened to ask me to choose between friendship and linguistic
integrity, I felt that something had to be done about that.<br><br>
Knowing Maltz's reticence to answer questions, I offered him, through
Marc, a bribe in the form of a bound proof-of-concept copy of this
world's first Klingon-language novel. I had three questions for him. Two
easy ones: missing nouns from my story, and one hard one, regarding
aspect. Maltz answered all three.<br><br>
I have to work again early in the morning and haven't yet eaten dinner,
so I'm going to tantalize you with this until my airplane next goes in
for scheduled maintenance and I can have a break.<br><br>
The answer to the first question, from Marc Okrand:<br><br>
====<br>
<b>The word for &quot;screw&quot; is &lt;Hut'In vIl&gt;, which is, of
course, a ridgy &lt;Hut'In&gt;. Turns out &lt;Hut'In&gt; is the word for
&quot;nail.&quot; Maltz also volunteered that the word for
&quot;spike&quot; is &lt;wIl&gt;.<br>
Hut'In is an obvious pun, even for someone with my limited musical
knowledge, and I think wIl is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference.&nbsp;
And it turns out wIl is extremely useful for my story, too.<br><br>
- Qov<br>