tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 30 13:44:16 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Question regarding purpose clauses

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> The question really is: Is this evidence of a new grammatical tool that we can employ when trying to express ourselves?

jISaHbe'. wIlo'chugh, ghaytan maQumchu'be'. maQumchu' vIneH. vaj
vIlo'Qo' jIH. qaq DuHmey pIm.

The answer to that question does not interest me.

If it is evidence of anything in particular, it is of a not
particularly effective tool. Employing that tool outside specific
contexts will result in our expressing ourselves poorly. There are
many such «nuH vaQHa'» in our toolbox. Trying to use them well might
be an interesting intellectual exercise, but I do not believe it
serves what I think is the goal of using language: communication.

-- ghunchu'wI'