tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 30 09:03:17 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puch

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> For the room where the {puch} is installed, use {puchpa'} "washroom, bathroom, toilet"

Ah, the culture clash:
Receiving part of my upbringing (ages 7-10) in a rather posh part of the U.S., I was the only one in my family who was taught that lavatories were to be referred to as bathrooms, rather than toilets.
Furthermore, I got it into my head that one shouldn't even talk about bathrooms unless necessary; better to use euphemisms, or to deny the truth. For instance, if somebody called and asked for a member of your family, and you knew that person to be in the bathroom, you certainly wouldn't say so; you'd say they were taking a shower, or that they'd gone out for a walk and should be back in a few minutes. Anything else was just ... VULGAR!

...aaaand then I moved back to the suburbs of Stockholm, where the standard way for kids to refer to going to the bathroom was to state what bodily function they planned to execute in that place, much to my distress.

Twelve years later, I still refer to lavatories only as "badrum", much to the confusion/amusement of my peers, who insist that they are "toaletter". I guess when I visit Qo'noS, I'll confuse a lot of Klingons by asking <nuqDaq 'oH Say'pa''e'?>.

{puch } is presumably the appliance, fixture, hole in the ground, etc.

For the room where the {puch} is installed, use {puchpa'} "washroom, bathroom, toilet":

  nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'    TKD
  nuqDaq puchpa' [clipped] PK
  Where is the bathroom?

  be' puchpa'