tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 31 15:08:02 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

Qov ([email protected])

At 12:18 31/10/2011, you wrote:
> bread - tIr ngogh

I wonder if {ngogh} works for something flat like a cracker, or if it
implies more thickness.

tIr ngogh beQ

> cola - qo'la' 'awje'

So {'awje'} ends up being used generically for a sweet, carbonated
beverage. It's still going to be "root beer" by default.

Is Marc from the part of the United States that calls all carbonated sweetened beverages "Coke"?

How then
should we say "Dr Pepper",

<Dr Pepper 'awje'> or <Dr Pepper qo'la' 'awje'>

or order a diet Coke? I'm tempted to use
{puj}, though that could be misunderstood as meaning "diluted".

HaQchor ngaSbogh qo'la' 'awje'.

> rice - ray' tIr

Aw, that interferes with another grain: rye. I suppose I can call it
{ray tIr} and hope the listener is paying attention. Given the
pattern, here are a few more I'd expect people to understand, even
though they're not "official":
Wheat: {wIt tIr}
Oats: {'ot tIr}
Barley: {barlIy tIr}

Sure.

> toast - tIr ngogh QaD

{QaD} is disappointing. That would describe stale untoasted bread too.

What's the difference? You could distinguish between ghunbogh tIr ngogh QaD and ngo'bogh tIr ngogh QaD. They both taste the same.

> sugar - Su'ghar qutmey

maj. DaH Su'ghar wIqellaH.

My grocery list that day had ghew Su'ghar

> butter - nIm tlhagh

Now how do we refer to margarine?

mep tlhagh.

> cucumber - tera' peb'ot
> orange - tera' na'ran

Oho! {peb'ot} and {na'ran} are specific fruits which Terran cucumbers
and oranges merely resemble. We get to use the gratuitous "Kefarian
apples" pattern in the other direction now. :-)

What if I want to distinguish between a cucumber and a zucchini?

The cucumber has a wetter flesh with smaller seeds, and the zucchini is definitely more squashlike. Are the two considered similar enough that people sometimes use the same words for them where you come from?

> cheese - nIm wIb ngogh
> burger - Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je

Does anyone have any helpful ideas about why {ghIH} is used here?

The meet is all sloppy, no bones, gristle, tendons, veins, just mushed up.