tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 24 12:27:56 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon WOTD: ghegh (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, May 14, 2008.
> >>
> >>Klingon word:   ghegh
> >>Part of Speech: verb
> >>Definition:     be rough

naHQun:
> Which "rough" is this?
> Not smooth or not gentle?
>
> I have {Hab} "be gentle" listed as an antonym in my dictionary, but I
> don't know where I got that from.

Probably from someone on the list.  The only meaning I have for {Hab} is "be smooth".

> If my notes are correct, then this means "not smooth".

Correct.  {ghegh} is the opposite of {Hab}.  See the law'/puS variant in KGT p.179:

  tlhIngan yoH ghegh verengan yoH Hab
  tlhIngan yoH Hab verengan yoH ghegh
  The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi (slang)

> How, then, does one say "not gentle"?

There doesn't seem to be a verb for "be gentle" in Klingon. <g>  Depending on context, you could use {tun} "be soft" or {yep} "be careful" in a pinch.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons