tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 29 07:11:01 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: najmoHwI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, November 29, 2011
>
> Klingon word:   najmoHwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     lullaby

Never used in a sentence.

Cultural notes:

KGT 77f.:   Among the songs sung exclusively to or by children is the {najmoHwI'} (literally, "one that causes one to dream"), or "lullaby".

One of these is *Qoung vaj macht* "Sleep Little Warrior" - i.e. {Qong vaj mach}? (VOY "Human Error").

Someone posted this to the List:
"At NeatoBambino, we find out there are children's songs and lullabies in the Klingon language. Sing them to your child, and he or she may end up like the baby in the included video!"
(http://www.neatorama.com/neatobambino/2010/05/30/childrens-songs-in-klingon/

I always thought {najmoHwI'} would be a good slang term for a sedative (e.g. the Klingon version of a "Mickey Finn"), or a possible word for "hallucinogen".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons