tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 18 10:28:08 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Use of -'e' with relative clauses

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> To get the discussion started, here are the examples I have with
>> {-'e'} used (or not used!) as a disambiguator in relative clauses:
>>
>> loghDaq Suvrupbogh SuvwI'pu' chaH Hoch SuvwI'pu''e'
>> In space, all warriors are cold warriors
>>  (i.e. "warriors who are ready to fight"). TKW

De'vID:
> It seems that in every example you posted, <-'e'> acted as the
> disambiguator in a relative clause.  The only one of your sentences
> without it is the first one, where <Suv> in <Suvrupbogh SuvwI'pu'>
> has no object.

Well, this sentence doesn't need a disambiguator because there's no ambiguity.

It's also the only example in the list of a pronoun-as-verb.  Such sentences require the main subject be tagged with {-'e'}.  Even if the relative clause did have an object, the disambiguating {-'e'} may be avoided since there would then be two {-'e'}s in the sentence which would add to the ambiguity, not clear it up.

The only sentences with more than one {-'e'} seem to be lists (A, B, C) or joint subjects or objects (A and B):

  tlhIngan'e', tera'ngan'e', romuluSngan'e'
  [... a Klingon, a Terran, a Romulan (untranslated)] ST5

  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je
  "Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures.
  (SkyBox Copyright)

This is similar to repeating {-Daq} with two-part locations:

  tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
  1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World.  (KBoP)

  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
  The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

  loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
  Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons