tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 15 07:56:32 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Some useful mnemonics

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I remembered them seperately:
> "push the door, and it's {poS}"
> "The thief steals {nIH} with his right {nIH} hand."

When I think I might confuse words with one another, I make it a point
not to consider them together. Learning them independently makes it
easier for me to keep from mixing them up. I failed to do this with
{waQ} and {wen}, and I always used to have to look up which one is
which. I currently use the mnemonic phrase "way back when" (for
non-native English users, that's an idiom meaning "a long time ago").

> I remember the alphabet: the H in moHaq comes first, then the j from mojaq.

I do exactly the same thing. Though I now know them without needing
the crutch, I still can't help but think of it every single time.

Mnemonics stick with me long after they've served their purpose, and
that can be annoying. I don't even remember what the connection is
sometimes. Can anyone tell me why I get a mental image of a deer with
its antlers caught on the ceiling beams whenever I say the word
{rInDI'}?

-- ghunchu'wI'