tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 14 12:59:48 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] learnings from Saarbrücken qepHom'a'

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Interesting; I missed several of those words, myself.

Regarding reH, I asked Marc if one coukd say «SuvwI' ghaH 'e' reH puq» ("The child plays that he's/she's a warrior"). He rejected that sentence, but accepted «SuvwI' ghaH 'e' ghet puq reHtaHvIS».

He also accepted the sentence «maQoch 'e' wIQochbe'» ("We agree to disagree").
From: De'vID jonpIn [[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 21:44
To: KLI
Subject: [Tlhingan-hol] learnings from Saarbrücken qepHom'a'

I've already written several messages about things we learned at the qepHom'a' in Saarbrücken, Germany.  I'll write down the rest of what I saw/heard here before I forget.

I saw several new words (words new to me; they may already be known to others):
<'IvtIH>
<rajma'>
<'eQway>
<cha'neH>
<ren>
<Qur>
<qurbuSwI'> (Morskan?)

I don't have definitions from MO for the first four words, only what I saw in others' notes.  The words <ren>, <Qur>, and <qurbuSwI'> were defined in writing, but only in German, in a letter from MO.  Presumably, the letter was written in English, and translated into German (by Lieven?), but I have not seen the original.  However, I've had the meanings of <ren> and <Qur> explained to me by German speakers.  <qurbuSwI'> appears to be a Morskan dialect word, but I didn't understand its meaning.  Perhaps Lieven, or someone who can read the letter in German, can explain their definitions.

We also learned that the verbs <ghur> and <nup> are intransitive (the transitive forms have <-moH>), and also what the difference was between the verbs <reH> and <Quj>.  <reH> applies to unstructured play, whereas <Quj> refers to structured play (with rules).

The following is not new info, but was discussed with MO at the qepHom: <Soj> refers not just to food, but anything consumed for sustenance (i.e., "food" in a more general sense than "solid food"); <Sop>, <tlhutlh>, and <'ep> are verbs which can be applied to different kinds of <Soj>.

--
De'vID