tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 14 07:32:23 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'Ip

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, November 14, 2011
>
> Klingon word: 'Ip
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: oath

As used in canon:

  'Iw 'Ip ghomey
  Blood Oath Circles (KCD: name of a well-known sculpture)

The Oath is the "Klingon ritual of marriage, solemnizing the bond between husband and wife in the Klingon culture. Worf and K'Ehleyr almost "took the oath" after they spent a night together on the Enterprise-D holodeck in 2365, but neither felt ready for such a commitment at that time, even though they had just conceived a child together." The phrase {tlhIngan jIH} "I am a Klingon" is "[the first] part of the oath spoken between husband and wife in solemnizing their marriage". (STEnc p.344; cf. TNG "The Emissary")

Note the homophonous verb {'Ip} "vow, swear":

  jI'Ip
  I vow. KLS

I'm told that to "take the vow" is a Klingonist expression meaning to only speak Klingon, e.g. at a KLI {qep'a'}.

Related verbs:

{vIt} "tell the truth", {lay'} promise; ant. {lay'Ha'} "break one's word"

Trek notes:

"A star captain's most solemn oath is that he will give his life, even his entire crew, rather than violate the Prime Directive."
 (Kirk, TOS "The Omega Glory")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons