tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 11 07:12:12 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jang

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, November 11, 2011
>
> Klingon word:   jang
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     answer, reply

As used in canon:

  jang 'avwI' <<jIghung je>>
  The guard replies, "I am also hungry." PK

  jang 'avwI' <<jI'oj je>>
  The guard replies, "I am also thirsty." PK

  jang 'avwI' <<lIchopbe'chugh ghewmey!>>
  The guard answers, "If the bugs do not bite you!" PK

Related verbs:
{ghel} "ask (a question)", {yu'} "question, interrogate" & {tlhob} "ask, request, plead"

Mark Okrand described the use of {jang} in an interview with Will Martin (HolQeD [Dec. 1998: p.4-7]):

   [....]

WM:   Just to mention particular verbs in terms of whether they can be
      used for speech or not, you are saying that {ghel} is a word that
      would probably not be used typically as a verb of speech. That
      even if you are asking a question you would still tend to use
      {ja'} or {jatlh}.

MO:   Yes. "He asked me. He said,'blah, blah, blah'." Or "He said,
      'blah, blah, blah.' He asked me."  It doesn't matter.

WM:   {jang} - "answer" would be similar?

MO:   Yes.

WM:   And {tlhob} would similarly be...

MO:   {tlhob} also has the non-quoting sense.

   [....]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons