tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 03 01:36:12 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Beginner Story: nuq bop bom 'ay''a' wej

Qov ([email protected])

I'd mentioned that a smart lurking beginner (he wouldn't accept the label
&quot;intermediate&quot; when I tried to stick it on him) was working
through my story summaries and now he's got me with something I've been
doing for years, but I now suspect may be a hypercorrection: The first
sentence is mine and then we go back and forth discussing
<dl>
<dl>
</dl>
<dd>First officer, security officer and helmsman notice someone on the
bridge. (why yaS wa'DIch, not wa'DIch yaS ?)</blockquote><br>

<dd>It's yaS wa'DIch because Klingons put the number afterwards. They
just do. That's why it's qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch, for 18th qep'a',
too.<br><br>
<dd>perhaps &quot;are on the bridge&quot; ? That would make more sense I
think.</blockquote><br>

<dd>&quot;are on the bridge&quot; is correct. This is the normal way to
say it. I think the phrase in TKD is naDev tlhInganpu' lutu'lu' = there
are Klingons around here.<br><br>

</dl><br>
Actually I think you made mistake here, sort of. According to TKD correct
phrase is naDev tlhInganpu tu'lu'. And explanation says:<br><br>
&quot; When used with the verb {tu'} &lt;find, observe&gt; and a
third-[[keep hyphen]] person singular subject pronoun (0), the resulting
verb form {tu'lu'} &lt;someone/something finds it&gt; is often translated
by English &lt;there is.&gt; &quot;<br>
</i><br>
tu' means find observe. with -lu' it means someone finds/observe
&lt;none/him/her/it/them&gt;. lutu'lu' means that more people
finds/observe &lt;him/her/it/&gt;. So I think prefix lu- is wrong here
and there's no need for prefix anyway.</blockquote><br>
So I drew in breath to explain and then read it very carefully. Is Marc
saying here that the form with tu'lu' is invariably used with the 3rd
person singular pronoun, and then demonstrating that it is, with a third
person plural object?&nbsp; Has he ever used lutu'lu'? Is it just me? Or
is this just more proof of the fact that we always need fresh blood
reading the same words to learn more?<br><br>
Anyway, if he doesn't want to introduce himself I won't out him, but you
can see he looks smarter than me about now.<br><br>
- Qov</body>