tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 02 07:33:20 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HIj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>   rura' pente'Daq Soj, Doch,<luch?>  vIqIch
>>   "We is condemning [[sic! for {vIHIj}] food...
>>    things and supplies to Rura Penthe." (ST6)
>>
>> N.B. This was an intentionally bad translation by Okrand because
>> Uhura's Klingon was rusty.

SuStel:
> In a world of Universal Translators, her Klingon was probably
> nonexistent. In which case she did a pretty good job!

According to the novel IIRC, someone had sabotaged the Universal Translator in an attempt to delay the Enterprise's rescue mission so Uhura - who in the novels was a gifted linguist - was forced to pull out her old books and do it manually.

> I wish I could peek inside those books they were using to do the
> translation. (Why were they using books instead of reading the
> information from a computer screen? Where is the library on the
> Enterprise?)

I always took that scene of Uhura et al. frantically paging through their Klingon-English dictionaries as a comment on the Klingonist fan community paging through their TKDs at Trek conventions.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons