tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 09 14:14:45 2011

RE: qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch

Elizabeth Lawrence ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

For those of us on limited budgets (or who just want company) I would like to start the roommate discussion.
For Lawrence, I have a few questions: do we know the room prices yet, will our suite have any kitchen facilities (microwave, fridge, etc.) as restaurant food is a major expense, and is there any chance of the suite being used as a group crash pad (I know the idea had been floated last qep'a')?

-be''etlh

> From: [email protected]
> Subject: qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch
> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:05:44 -0500
> To: [email protected]
>
> I'm still working with the hotel representative from the 2011 World Science Fiction Convention, but we're very close to having it all settled.
>
> At this point, I'm confident enough with where things are to confirm that this year's qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch will be held in Reno, NV, mere days before the start of the worldcon.
>
> Most of the past 17 qep'a'mey have involved people trickling in on a Wednesday afternoon or evening, followed by three solid days of activities in a hotel conference room and trips to area restaurants (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), and on that last night having our Klingon cabaret. Sunday morning, groggy, sometimes hungover, we've congregated in the hotel lobby or local coffeeshop and said our goodbyes. This year will be a bit different.
>
> The straggling in will occur on Saturday, August 13th, at the Atlantis hotel in Reno. That night, and all day Sunday,  instead of a hotel conference room, we'll be in a hotel suite. Then, on Monday morning we'll move from the suite to a meeting room in the adjacent Convention Center, where we will meet through Tuesday night. Wednesday morning will likely see us hanging out at one of the many restaurants in the Atlantis, saying farewell to those who are leaving, though others may be staying on to attend one or more days of the worldcon (which starts at noon on Wednesday.
>
> Another difference this year will be our focus. Saturday and Sunday will be very much the qep'a' you've been used to for lo these many years. However, come Monday, we'll shit gears. Over the next several months, I'll be reaching out to the many Klingon groups, and inviting them to send members to join us for one or two days, and get personal tutoring and exposure to the Klingon language by some of the best speakers in the world. We'll be addressing basics of grammar and pronunciation. And likely there'll be a great deal of singing.
>
> It's also my hope that this will draw in some KLI members who haven't been to the qep'a' before, fearing that they just didn't have the language skills necessary. But this year, the only requirement for those last two days is a desire to learn some Klingon. Everyone is welcome.
>
> This is also an opportunity to take advantage of one of the greatest SF conventions held each year, and to spread an interest in Klingon to a larger community of fans.
>
> I'll be setting up a website soon, once all the details are finalized. But the dates and location are locked in. Make plans to attend. Now.
>
> See you in Reno,
>
> Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
> author / publisher / psychologist / klingonist

Back to archive top level