tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 28 05:36:34 2010

Re: A request for assistance

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

I wonder whether a Klingon would consider a rose's thorn to be closer associated with DuQwI' or with naHjej. We've translated the latter to "thistle", but we can't know that it is not a more generic word for any plant that has parts that would be considered "sharp".

Also, consider that in English, we use the term "flower" both to refer to the assembly of petals and the immediate structure that holds them in place, and also for the whole plant, including roots, and anything in between. Consider cut flowers, for instance, vs. potted flowers, or flowers woven into your hair. They are all flowers, so long as they include the petals.

We don't talk about trees like that, or bushes, or even most food plants or animals or people. Flowers alone have this odd word trick, and perhaps we should not assume that this carries across the language barrier between English and Klingon.

Also when you speak of roses without thorns, you have to include the petals and stems for the reference to make any sense, because the petals and the rosebud or base of the petals never have thorns. It's the stems that have thorns.

So, a rose clipped at the base of the petals is naturally without thorns. The absence of thorns is only noteworthy if you are talking about rose stems or whole plants.

It's interesting that the rose seems designed to attract bees (love the smell and color, couldn't care less about the thorns), but repel larger creatures that like to eat colorful, sweet-smelling things. Humans like to control the features of domesticated species, but the widespread creation of a thornless rose has so far escaped human capability. In that regard, the rose is rebellious.

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

Back to archive top level