tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 21 18:23:24 2010

Re: monastery

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Dec 21, 2010, at 6:00 PM, "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> No, it makes the assumption that when Okrand defines {ghIn} as
> "monastery," it means "monastery," which is an English word. Barring
> evidence to the contrary, use it the way it's defined.

The thing is, the definition went the other way. He said the Klingon
term for a monastery is {ghIn}, not that the English meaning of {ghIn}
is "monastery". In fact, he told us that the English meaning is more
like "religious community". The reason there is an issue is that some
of us aren't at all sure how broadly to take the "community" idea.

I know what Klingon word to use when I want to talk about a monastery.
I know an English phrase that is suppose to better represent what that
word means. But at present I don't fully understand what that phrase
is supposed to imply.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level