tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 19 09:44:12 2010

Re: monastery

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT ([email protected])

QeS 'utlh>

The English word "monastery" now only refers to the building, but judging
solely from Okrand's phrasing - "a pretty general term for a religious
community" - I'm led to think that {ghIn} might well refer to the community
itself.

Exactly, the phrasing makes one wonder.

>If that's the case, maybe *{ghIn qach} "monastery building" would be
understood to refer specifically to the building, though if a {ghIn} is the
community rather than the building, perhaps the home of a {ghIn} is just
considered a type of {chIrgh} "temple". Indeed, if a {ghIn} is really more
the community than the building, and if Okrand's note on the term
"religious"in the gloss offers as much latitude as it seems to, I wonder if,
say, the Old Order Amish (not a monastery in any usual sense of the word)
could be
considered a {ghIn}.

So now I have to ask, is a ghIn defined by geography?
There's an Amish community a few hours North of me.
There is a defined geographic area for this group.

But other religious communities don't necessarily have the same boundaries.
They live intermingled with other religious and non-religious groups.

Can I refer to the yID ghIn in Indianapolis? Despite the fact that they are
spread out? Or the yID ghIn in general; with a global perspective?

~naHQun

~Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon Translator
webOS Developer