tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 07:08:05 2010

RE: Okuda Explains

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix Malmenbeck:
> Thank you for this response, Joris.  You'll probably have to expect to defend
> the choice in the future, though, as it is rather an odd choice for several reasons:
>
> * The Arcturus system is far closer to Earth than most expect Qo'noS to be.
> * Most believe Qo'noS - along with most of the Klingon Empire - to be in the Beta
> Quadrant, whereas Arcturus is in the Alpha Quadrant (it has a longitude of about
> 15Â in the galactic coordinate system; everything in the Beta Quadrant has a
> longitude ranging from 180Â to 360Â by the most common definition of the Quadrants).
> * This system inhabited by the Arcturians (and Arcturus IV is apparently a member
> of the Federation):  http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Arcturian
>
> It's certainly not the worst of crimes, and the video is still great,
> but you'll have to be prepared, as all Trekkies are compelled by law
> to nitpick about such things ;)
naHQun:

Joris Favie (on behalf of the 'u' team) wrote on 7/28/2010:
>> Here is the response of the director with regards to the location of
>> of Qo'noS:  http://www.u-theopera.org/official-position-qonos

naHQun:
>I just got the following reply from Mike Okuda:
>
>  Thanks for the note. I asked Andre Bormanis for his help on this one.
>  We realized that whatever star we picked, there was a distinct chance
>  that someone would have a valid issue with it.
>  The main consideration was that Arcturus (aka Hokule'a) is only 36
>  light years away and is an orange giant K2 star, stable enough for
>  M-class planets. We also wanted a star that was visible from Holland
>  during their event, and we wanted something bright enough for amateur
>  stargazers to be able to spot easily.
>  Hope this helps explain the thought process.
>
>So there you have it.
>I shall now begin looking into the "Two Qo'noS Theory"...

FYI... The Klingon sun is called Amrita (ST6 novelization, p.22) and Epsilon Sagittarius (_The Star Trek Medical Reference Guide_ [197-?]).

I assume that Amrita is the Terran/Federation cartographers' name for the star dating from before first contact with the Klingon Empire in... (anyone remember the date?).  (*amáta* is a Sanskrit word meaning "that which is immortal" and is often referred to in texts as nectar, corresponding to ambrosia in Greek mythology.)

We still don't know how the Klingons refer to their own sun.  Of the many fannish variants I've seen, I prefer *{tlhIngan juHHov} "the Klingon homestar" - modeled on {juHqo'} "homeworld".

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level