tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 17:49:26 2009

Re: pu'jIn

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

> Read on in TKD for an explanation of *how* to combine nouns in that
> way.  The nouns follow one another; they do not attach to one another.

Dude, fine, typo. As I said.

>> Is there any known semantic or phonological or syntactic or
>> morphological
>> (read: ANY) difference between a noun–noun construction and a
>> compound in
>> Klingon, besides the orthography?
>
> For a semantic difference, perhaps {'Iwghargh} "bloodworm" vs. {'Iw
> ghargh} "blood's worm" or "worm of blood"?
>
> I can't speak for everyone, but when I say {HolQeD}, the first
> syllable gets less stress than when I say {Hol QeD}.

This is what I would expect, since the final syllable of a noun gets
stressed, so two nouns that are independent of each other (that is, in
a N-N construction) likely have independent stress on both nouns, but
HolQeD, since it is a compound, should only have stress on the QeD,
no?

Back to archive top level