tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 11 14:39:16 2009

Re: Yet another newbie!

Krenath ([email protected])

Huh.

If I'm understanding it properly, 'oH and 'oHtaH may be analogous to
the verbs "ser" and "estar" in Spanish.

So:

'oH and ser talk about what something is when that aspect is somewhat
permanent.

'oHtaH and estar talk about what something is *currently* when that
aspect is expected to be able to change, such as a location

Sound about right?

On Nov 11, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]
 > wrote:

>> ter'eS:
>>> But not with negatives? ?{bIQ'a'Daq 'oHbe' 'etlh'e'}
>>
>> That's an interesting question.  AFAIK we don't have
>> any examples of {PRONOUNtaHbe'} or {PRONOUNbe'taH} in the
>> corpus, whether referring to location or not.
>>

> I actually like plain {'oHbe'} by analogy with {'oH} used in a
> question (eg. {nuqDaq 'oH}). In the question, you don't know if
> something has continued existence somewhere, so you don't presume
> that, only ask if it exists. In the positive answer, you are
> stressing its presumed continued existence in a given place. In the
> negative, you are focusing on the fact that something is not
> somewhere; stressing its on-going not-being seems redundant.
>
> -- ter'eS

Back to archive top level