tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 06 13:48:08 2009

RE: Sentences as objects

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Tracy Canfield asked:
>2.  Verbs of observation
>TKD gives a few example sentences for these:
>
>  Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej

Also:

  lI' 'e' Datu'
  You will find it useful. PK

>Here are some other verbs I might expect to take sentence objects using
>'e' and net:

Here are examples of {'e'} and {net} used with the verbs on your lists.  Realize that just because there are no examples of these pronouns being used with some verbs doesn't mean that they can't be, only that Okrand hasn't yet.  In fact, there are many verbs in TKD and KGT that have never been used by Okrand in a sentence.

>hear    				Qoy

  jach SuvwI' 'e' yIQoy
  Hear the warrior cry out! TKW

>learn    				ghoj
>read    				laD
>realize    			tlhoj
>verify   				'ol
>watch    				bej

  HIvrup 'e' vIbej
  I am positive they're ready to attack (slang) KGT

  HIvrup 'e' vIbej
  I watch that they're ready to attack. KGT

>Do we have any examples of these with sentence objects?

>3.  Verbs of mental processes
>
>TKD gives us two examples with Sov, which takes a sentence object with
>'e' or net:
>
>know    				Sov
>  qamapu' DIHoH 'e' luSov
>  qamapu' DIHoH net Sov
>
>The following verbs have related meanings - they all deal with mental
>processes.  Do we have any information about which ones do or don't work
>the same way?
>
>believe    	  		Har
>doubt    		  		Hon

  tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIHon
  I doubt that you speak Klingon." (st.k 7/01/97)

>expect    	  		pIH
>forget    	  		lIj
>judge, estimate   		noH
>recognize    	  		ghov
>regret    	  		pay
>remember    	  		qaw
>think    		  		Qub

  ... 'e' DaQub'a'?
  "Do you think that...?" (st.k 1/01/97)

  tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIQub
  I think that you speak Klingon" (st.k 7/01/97)

>understand    	  		yaj

>4.  Verbs of wanting
>
>TKD shows that neH takes a sentence object without using a complementizer
>such as 'e' or net:
>
>want    		 		neH
>  jIQong vIneH
>
>Do these verbs work the same way?

No, they don't.  {neH} is an explicit exception.

>hope    				tul

  tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vItul
  I hope that you speak Klingon. (st.k 7/01/97)] -

  DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
  To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

  Qu'Daj ta'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
  To die in the line of duty is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

  wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
  To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

  naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
  (untranslated note on st.k, MO to SuStel 11/96)

>prefer    			maS

>5.  Other verbs which take sentence objects in human languages
>
>Finally, the TKD glossary includes several verbs which would take
>sentence
>objects* in human languages, but which aren't particularly similar to the
>verbs of perceiving, knowing, or desiring for which we see sample
>sentences.  Are any of these verbs known to take sentence objects?
>
>advise    		  	qeS
>allow, permit     		chaw'

QaghwIj vIQIj 'e' yIchaw'neS
Permit me to explain my mistake, your Honor. PK

bIH lo' SkyBox International, Inc. 'e' chaw'
SkyBox International, Inc. authorized user. (Copyright)

nIteb Qob qaD jup 'e' chaw'be' SuvwI'
A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone. TKW
lengtaH 'e' yIchaw' Let them continue on their way." (ENT "The Augments")

>attempt, try      		nID

DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon High Council. S26

>decide    			wuq

yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD
Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

vImuHlu' net wuqHa'
My death sentence was commuted! (ENT "Affliction")

>demand, require   		poQ

qab legh 'e' poQ
He/she demands to see a face [challenge to a duel] KGT

loHwI' vISuch 'e' vIpoQ
I demand to see the magistrate! (ENT "Affliction")

>discourage    	  		tung
>help, aid    	  		QaH
>intend, mean to   		Hech

Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech
Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on being proud. TKW

Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level