tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 04 13:44:53 2009

RE: Sentences as objects

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Wed, 11/4/09, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> One can explain in writing or an email (as we are doing
> here!).  E.g.:

If you are quoting reported speech, it doesn't really matter what the medium is, you are still "saying" it, even if you're using a computer.

ghomvaD SoQ vIjatlh, 'ej jagh jeylu'meH mIw vIQIj.
ghomvaD jIjatlh. jagh jeylu'. jIQIj.

jabbI'ID ghomvaD jabbI'ID vIghItlh, 'ej jagh jeylu'meH mIW vIQIj.
jabbI'ID ghomvaD jIghItlh. jagh jeylu'. jIQIj.

I don't really understand why MO decided that reported speech would not be an object and would not use {'e'}, but he did, so this is what I conclude from that.

And note that he says that the object of {QIj} is the "thing" explained, not the quotation of the speech act conveying the explanation. ?{jagh jeylu' ghomvaD 'e' vIQIj}.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level