tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 18:30:40 2009

Re: -vaD

ghunchu'wI' wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Doq wrote:
>
>> I can't ignore Okrand's use of the word "beneficiary".
>
> You don't need to ignore it, but perhaps you should modify your
> understanding of it as a colloquial term that must involve the
> betterment of what it applies to.
>
> As a grammatical term, "beneficiary" merely indicates a recipient
> (usually of an object or of information).  The usual grammatical term
> for the idea is "indirect object".  In case-marking languages, it
> gets the dative case.  In English, it usually is preceded by the
> preposition "to" or "for", or can stand alone if it comes before the
> direct object.  In Klingon, it gets the Type 5 noun suffix {-vaD}.

I've been doing some reading about this recently. According to
Wikipedia, what Okrand gives us in TKD 3.3.5 is the benefactive case
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefactive_case>. However, he then
adjusts it by adding the dative case
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dative_case> to it in TKD 6.8. Wikipedia
says the combination of benefactive and dative is known in Latin as
/dativus commodi/.

Since English doesn't usually inflect nouns for case, and only inflects
pronouns a little, we can't use case to determine the syntactic function
of a noun; we have to determine that by its position. Klingon has an odd
mix of inflection and position. (Well, maybe it's odd; I don't know
about most other languages.) A Klingon noun inflected with {-vaD} may or
may not indicate an indirect object; the case /dativus commodi/
describes its function well.

In any case, grammatically "beneficiary" doesn't necessarily mean a
recipient.

> A Klingon sentence's "beneficiary" doesn't obviously have to end up
> improved by the sentence.  {qama'vaD QIghpej lo' 'avwI') seems
> grammatically fine to me.

I'm not entirely certain I agree with that. I can't think of any
particular argument against it though. We haven't ever officially seen
{-vaD} in that light, have we?

--
SuStel
Stardate 9418.3