tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 28 13:45:44 2009

Re: {vIl} (was Re: News from Maltz)

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM, David Trimboli<[email protected]> wrote:
> Oh! It's the thing your aunt gave you which you don't know what it is.
>
> So {vIl} means "someone or something one can always find around."

I think that puts a little too much emphasis on the reliability of the
thing or person. {vIl} strikes me more as referring to someone or
something you keep noticing, rather than something or someone you
would intentionally look for. When I asked Marc Okrand whether
"sidekick" would be an appropriate term, he said no, and gave this
example: "It would apply to this woman I know who seems to show up (as
an audience member or an usher or something) at every play I go to.  I
don't know why she's always there, but it's weird."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level