tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 06 07:29:10 2009

RE: Klingon WOTD: qugh (v)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh wrote on February 3, 2004:
>>>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, February 2, 2004.
>>>
>>>Klingon word:   qugh
>>>Part of Speech: verb
>>>Definition:     cruise
>>
>> [--snipped--]
>>
>> Also, in the current HolQeD (12.4) Krankor reminded us of the
>> "unofficial slang" word *{qughwI'} or "motorcycle" (literally
>> "cruiser", which he says is a particular class of motorcycle).

qe'San replied on July 4, 2009:
>Accepting this unofficial slang, could a description of a bicycle be
>[qughwI'Hom]?
>
>Before I'd re-read/found this email I had been thinking of describing a
>bicycle as a "leg powered vehicle" or "leg energy transporter"
>{'uS HoS lupwI'} then at first seeing references to the unofficial use of
>Duj and then here qughwI' ['uS HoS Duj] or ['uS HoS qugh]
>
>However I wonder if you can use leg energy in that way.. so thought maybe
>qughwI'Hom would be better and shorter.  What does anyone else think?

For those who know the unofficial meaning of {qughwI'}, *{qughwI'Hom} is more likely to be understood without explanation as "motorscooter" or even "motorbike".  But whatever word you choose, you're going to have to gloss it so people know what you mean.

BTW another word to consider appeared on startrek.klingon (11/1999):  {rutlh} "wheel".  It appears in the idiom:

  pumDI' rutlh
  when the wheel falls
  [i.e. "by that time", "by then" (idiom)]

Since all of the aforementioned vehicles have wheels, though, I don't know if it's of any help!

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level