tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 08:59:21 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: qID (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, March 30, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   qID
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     joke

Cf. the two jokes in "Power Klingon".

Related nouns:

{lut tlhaQ} "funny story" (PK)

>Homonyms:
>     qID (verb) - joke, make a joke, tell a joke
Related verbs:

{Dogh} "be foolish/silly"; {toj} "deceive, trick"; {tlhaQ} "be funny"
Antonym {Sagh} "be serious"

Pun:  "to kid someone"

"There is a joke, Maltz recalled, about someone trying to lick some food
off of a stirring stick while wearing shoes. Maltz laughed, but didn't tell
the joke." (Marc Okrand, HQ 10.2:11)

"... that old Groucho Marx joke, you know: 'I just shot an elephant in my
pajamas... and how he got in my pajamas I'll never know.'  You can say that
in Klingon, no problem; they'll get the joke.  There's not many jokes you
can get to translate into Klingon, but that one would work." (Marc Okrand,
HQ 4.2:5-6)

There's a list of known puns at
www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Puns%20in%20the%20Vocabulary%20of%20tlhIngan%20Hol

Trek trivia:

"I don't understand their humor either." (Worf to Data, TNG "The Naked Now")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level