tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 09:47:42 2008

Atlantean language

Lawrence John Rogers ([email protected])

Hi Klingon language speakers,

Can someone help me contact Dr. Lawrence Schoen or Dr. Marc Okrand?  I have
questions about Okrand's Atlantean and Klingon.

Like Dr. Schoen, I am an authority on one of Okrand's languages, Atlantean.
I run this Yahoo Group called "The Atlantean Language Group" as of last
Summer.  It was founded in June 2001, the year Disney's "Atlantis: The Lost
Empire" came out.

ub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

Does anyone have any questions about the Atlantean language?

He didn't develop it further because the movie didn't do as well as hoped.

I'm trying to contact Okrand so I can tell him what fans of his language
have done and see if he'll help us any.

We're a smaller group than the KLI.  The group has 162 members but I think
only about 50 keep up with the posts, 20 have studied the language, 10 post
and 2 are at conversational level for sure.  And all together on the
Internet I estimate that there's 1,000 or more who have some interest in the
on-going dicipherment and read things like the Wikipedia article or my
Zompist Bboard posts.

Does anyone know how many the Vulcan Language Institute has or how to
contact them?  How many does KLI have?  Seems like a lot.  We should form an
Orkand Language Alliance or something.

It's a small group but it's a really interesting language.  I wish I could
promote it more effectively.  It's also the artistic contrast language to
Klingon, being the synthesis of all human languages, as opposed to their
antithesis (it's a sort of Proto-World), set in times past.

We haven't published any books yet; dicipherment is still on-going and even
a final draft grammar and dictionary set are in the works.  We have a rough
draft of these and a few other relevant articles on the site.  It's almost
all done by me.

The language has 337 known words and a nearly comprehensive set of
grammatical rules.  He is quoted in one interview as saying that it contains
700-1000 words but that all of these are in the movie.  I've developed it up
to about 900 words based on the original 180 that I diciphered.  The
development is rather easier than Klingon as I just make compounds out of
canonical words.  Hence, there's less of a need for reference materials or
authority.  It's more artificial but easy.  I've also started on a
development that constructs new words based on Okrand's method.  I don't
think it'll get as well developed as the canonical one, though.  People just
seem to want something Atlantean-like they can write in.

Any help?  Questions?

Lawrence Rogers

Canidate for Linguistics B.A. at
Michigan State University