tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 18 09:17:46 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: cho' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, February 18, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   cho'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     succeed (to authority)
>Source: TKD-A (181 KE, 190 EK)

Never used in canon.

Related verbs:

{gheS} "assume duties of, take on responsibilities";  {Sugh} "install (in
office)";  {Son} relieve [someone on watch/duty?];  {moj} become;  {Da}
"behave as, act in the manner of"; cf. n. nubwI' predecessor)

>Homonyms:
>     cho' (noun) - succession

Used in canon:

yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD.
Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who was
acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

Related nouns:

{cho' 'oDwI'}  "Arbiter of Succession" [A traditional role Captain Picard
filled at the dying Klingon leader, K'mpec's, request. It came during a
time when no Klingon could be trusted, during the dubious intrigue of the
Duras-Gowron battle for power, circa stardate 44247, which itself nearly
plunged the Klingons into the heart of a civil war. On stardate 44996.8,
Duras was killed by Lieutenant Worf. Picard, in his role as Arbiter of
Succession, then fulfilled his duty by reporting his findings to the
Klingon High Council. Despite protestations, Picard told Gowron that his
arbiter role did not include stepping deeper into the coming Klingon civil
war to support him. (TNG "Reunion")]

{nubwI'}  "predecessor"

Also, I found *{cho'DIb} "right of succession within a clan" in my notes
without a source.  Does anyone recognize where this comes from?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level