tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 13 07:36:15 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: DuQ (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, February 13, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   DuQ
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     touch (emotionally)

Used in canon:

   muDuQ bom
   The song stabs me (i.e. The song moves me). KGT

KGT 71-2:  Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance
of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the
verb {DuQ} (literally, "stab"): {muDuQ bom} ("The song stabs me", or, in a
more colloquial Federation Standard form, "The song moves me"). If the
music is judged positively--that is, if the listener likes it--the music is
said to be {'ey}, using the word normally translated as "delicious" when
talking about food. Rendering {'ey bom} as "The song is good" is
acceptable, but it fails to capture the real feeling of the Klingon.

KGT 84:  Food also resembles music in that if it affects one in an
especially positive way--that is, if the food particularly satisfies the
eater--one may say {DuQ Soj} ("The food stabs him/her").

Related verbs:

{nong} "be passionate"

N.B. do not confuse with {Hot} "touch, feel" [physically] and {vIH} "move,
be in motion"

>Homonyms:
>     DuQ (verb) - stab

Used in canon:

   qaDuQ
   I stab you. KLS

   cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'
   Prick us, do we not bleed? TKW

   muDuQ bom
   The song stabs me. KGT

   DuQ Soj
   The food stabs him/her. KGT

Related verbs:

{pe'} "cut"; {SIj} "slit"; {chIp} "cut, trim (hair)"; {poDmoH} "clip"

Related nouns:

{DuQwI'}  "spike":

KGT 58:  A warrior's glove ({pogh}), also made of skin, had wide band
around the wrist and sharp protrusions at the knuckles. If there was a
special name for these protrusions, it is lost; they are now called simply
{DuQwI'mey} ("spikes").

KGT 61:  A "spike" is a {DuQwI'} and the small spikes on the d'k tahg are
usually called {DuQwI'Hommey} ("little spikes").

   moQDaq DuQwI'Hommey jej tu'lu'
   A brutally spiked pommel fastens the hilt together. SP2

KGT 67:  Included in this category is the {ghanjaq}, often translated as
"mace", a club with a metal head, sometimes sporting spikes ({DuQwI'mey}).

{DuQwI' pogh}  "glavin, spike glove":

ST Encycl. 114:  A traditional weapon on planet Ligon II, used in ritual
combat. Resembling a gauntlet-length oversized glove, the end of the glavin
has a large, vicious hook and is covered with poison-tipped spines. Tasha
Yar fought Yareena with glavins.  (TNG "Code of Honor")

There's a photo of part of one in TKW p.204; K'Ehleyr wears a huge Klingon
version in TKW p.16.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons