tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 12 07:30:18 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: yaj (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, February 12, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   yaj
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     understand

Used in canon:

   yaj'a'
   Does he understand? TKD

   jIyaj
   I understand TKD

TKD 33f.:  can be used when the speaker understands things in general,
knows what is going on, or understands what another speaker has just said.
It cannot, however, be used for understanding a language or understanding a
person.

   jIyajbe'
   I don't understand. TKD

   jIyajchu'
   I understand clearly. TKD

   yajchu'
   Understood clearly. (Clipped) TKD

   yaj'a'
   [Is that] Understood? (Clipped) TKD

   jIyaj
   Understood. TKD

   baHwI', DoS yIbuS.  QuQ neH.  yaj'a'?
   Gunner: Target engine only - Understood? ST3

   yajchu', qaH.
   Understood clearly, sir. ST3

   ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'
   [You don't seem to grasp our situation, General. (novel)] ST6

   HIDjolev Dayaj'a', tera'ngan?
   Do you understand the menu, Terran? CK

   bIyaj'a'
   Do you understand? PK

   yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ
   To understand life, endure pain. TKW

   Dajatlhbogh vIyajlaHbe'
   I find no match for what you just said. KCD

   jaghpu' mo' wIyajnIS
   We must understand the enemies' motive. (slang) KGT

   tlhIngan Soj 'oH-?not bIyaj
   It is Klingon food­you will not understand. (idiom) (HQ 12.3)

{yajHa'}  "misinterpret, misunderstand"

   jIyajHa'.  chay' jura'?
   [I don't understand. What are your orders? (untranslated)] ST3

KGT 111:  The phrase (often in the form {ngem Sarghmey tlha'laH} ["be able
to chase forest sarks"]) is now used to indicate that one is capable of
following anyone or anything--that is, that one is capable of understanding
even the most complex of discussions or of solving the most intricate of
problems.

Related verbs:

{Hon} "doubt";  {SIv} "wonder";  {Sov} "know";  {Qub} "think"; { tlhoj"
"realize"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons