tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 07 07:22:54 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: bergh (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, February 7, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   bergh
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be irritable

Used in canon:

   bIbergh
   You are irritable. KLS

Related verbs:

{berghmoH}  irritate

KGT 167:  [{yIv}] literally means "chew". In its slang sense, it is found
in such constructions as {choyIv} ("You bother me"--literally, "You chew
me") or {muyIv romuluS Ha'DIbaH} ("The Romulan dog irks me"; literally,
"The Romulan animal chews me," where "Romulan animal" is a derogatory way
to refer to a Romulan). The subject of {yIv} can be only a person or
creature, not an inanimate object or a situation. Thus, it is inappropriate
to say something like {muyIv 'Iw HIq bIr} ("cold bloodwine chews me").
Standard ways to express the same idea are {nuQ} ("annoy, bother") and
{berghmoH} ("irritate")

Cf. also {bIt} "be nervous, uneasy"

Antonym:  {jot} "be calm"

--