tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 08 09:24:30 2008

RE: KLBC: New to the List

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Mon, 12/8/08, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> didn't conform to
> other languages, like
>
> Interestingly, the string {-arD-} is present in just one
> other word that I know of:
>
>   Cardassia is both {qarDaS} and {qarDaSya'}.  [KGT p.
> 142]
>
> Note BTW that this is another foreign proper name.  This
> tells us that Klingons view the combination {qarD} as
> pronounceable, even though it doesn't appear in any
> native tlhIngan Hol words.

My personal theory is that the "r" found paired with a vowel at the end of syllables (as here, or in {'argh}), is not the same, fully-consonantal "r" that begins the word {ragh}, for example, but is actually a coloring on the preceding vowel, a feature known in English as R-controlled vowels.  For consistency, I guess I'd also consider diphthongs using Vy or Vw to also be non-consonantal uses of "y" and "w" (which is know as an off-glide).  This way, the syllable pattern of Klingon can be described  without any exceptions, i.e.:

CV(C) where C is any Klingon consonant,
            V is V, Vy, Vw or Vr (or, V(y/w/r)), and
           (C) is optional.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level