tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 14 11:55:28 2008

Re: idea for writing system

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:
> By the way, you asked for stardate:
> it says for how much percent (actually permille) the year is over, so 000 is the beginning of the year, and 999
> is close before the last second of the year.

Not that close.  1/1000 of a year is almost 9 hours...

And as I said, that's the TNG system, which doesn't work for TOS.  And
you still have some details to work out: is "1 year" fixed at a
constant length for stardate purposes (e.g. the Gregorian mean year of
365.2425 solar days), or does the length of a stardate vary between
leap and common years?  Either way, where does the xx000.0 point fall
(when aligned with the calendar) - at midnight UTC on Jan 1?  If so,
then you have the "Family" problem of France being clearly in the
spring or summer with a stardate that says it's January.

As for the first two digits, they gave the year as 2364 in TNG season
1. If 41xxx = 2364, then 00xxx = 2323.  If you "roll over" to 99xxx
for 2322 and keep working backwards from there (still using the TNG
system instead of switching to the TOS one when you get to that point)
then you get a new 00xxx every 100 years on xx23.  So 1923 was the
last 00xxx and this year is 85xxx.

Alternatively, you can use the value that would be the "current"
stardate if they'd continued the TNG/DS9/Voyager timeline on
television.  Since 41xxx aired in 1987-1988, assume the 0 point is
around the middle of the year (which incidentally fixes the "Family"
problem too) instead of the beginning, and it would now be sometime in
the early 62xxx's.

---

But this is all way off topic.  What would Klingons call "stardates"?
I don't think we have a canon word for that. We can't infer {'ejpoH}.
{DIvI' poH}, maybe?

-marqoS

Back to archive top level