tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 11:32:47 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngIp (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > Okrand discussing borrowing:
> >
> > KGT 72:  It is possible that, at some time in the past, the numerals were
> > "borrowed" into the lexicon of music in order to sing the scale [...]
> It is
> > far more likely, however, that the borrowing went in the other direction"
> > (KGT 72)
> >
> > KGT 205:  For example, one language may borrow (and, in the process,
> > phonetically modify) a word for a concept it lacks.

lay'tel SIvten:
>Language borrowing is hardly borrowing per se.

It's only borrowing if you give it back?  What do Klingon grammarians call
it?  Since neither {ngIp} "borrow" nor {noj} "lend" have appeared in canon,
we have no idea how they're used in Klingon.  I look for examples of how
Okrand tends to use the English glosses merely as clues, nothing more.  The
vocabulary glosses reflect Marc Okrand's own idiolect after all.

Here's another:

TKW 175:  This expression was apparently borrowed from an old expression
used by some members of the Federation. Though proud of their uniqueness in
the galaxy, Klingons willingly adopt--or, in true Klingon spirit,
take­-ideas from the outside if those ideas fit in with and support Klingon
values.

Searching for "adopt" in the non-familial sense:

KCD:  When the Eight Houses began their rule of this sector, all the
natives from Taganika were banished to outlying planets. The Klingons,
however, adopted a number of their local dishes.

KGT 137:  Depending upon one's age (or, more importantly, upon the age
group with which one most identifies), one may or may not want to adopt the
pronunciation patterns or grammatical peculiarities associated with the
younger generation.

KGT 144:  Sometimes, a slang expression shifts from one group within the
society to another. A word once used primarily by, say, members of the
military may be adopted by the younger generation in general. What may be
passe in military circles may be au courant among kids.

TKD 52-3:  In accordance with the more accepted practice, the Klingon
Empire sometime back adopted a decimal number system, one based on
ten.  Though no one knows for sure, it is likely that this change was made
more out of concern for understanding the scientific data of other
civilizations than out of a spirit of cooperation.

Both {lIS} "adjust" and {choH} "alter, change" would work for some of these.

Would you prefer {tlhap} "take", {Suq} "acquire, obtain, get", {jon}
"capture" or {nIH} "steal" for linguistic, cultural or technological
"borrowing"?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons