tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 08:00:51 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: way' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, April 25, 2008.
>
>Category: Weapons/War
>
>Klingon word:   way'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     parry, deflect a lunge
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 59: There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with
>[bat'leth] use.  To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is
>{jop}.  To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}.

KGT 59 (cont'd):  When teaching someone to use the bat'leth, the tutor will
shout out movements--for example, {yIjop! yIway'!} ("Lunge! Defend!").
Generally in such a situation, however, the tutor will used the shortened
form of the language known as Clipped Klingon and skip the imperative
prefix {yI-}, leaving only the bare verb: {jop! way'!} It is important to
note that the tutor is giving the student direct commands ("Lunge!
Defend!"), not shouting out the names of movements.

The {mong'em} maneuver is: "A parry where you thrust a sword or other edged
weapon behind your neck in order to block an attack from the rear."
(DeCandido, _Diplomatic Implausibility_)

{jop 'ej way'} "lunge and deflect"

KGT 115:  This idiom, which means {have an argument}, is based on movements
associated with the bat'leth. During the course of a bout, both parties,
among other things, alternately lunge ({jop}), that is, push the bat'leth
toward the opponent, and deflect ({way'}), or use the bat'leth to push the
oncoming one away. Each side, then, engages in both offensive and defensive
movements, and this alternation of roles is likened to a verbal duel. In
using the expression, the appropriate verbal affixes are attached; for
example, {wIjoppu' 'ej wIway'pu'} ("We have lunged and we have
deflected"--that is, "We have had an argument"). If the two verbs are
reversed ({way' 'ej jop} ["deflect and lunge"]), the idea of "have an
argument" is not present, though the phrase is perfectly well formed if
referring to a bat'leth bout.

N.B. {ghoH} "argue, dispute" in the non-idiomatic verb.

>Antonyms: jop

"lunge, thrust"

Note: On the Bird-of-Prey Poster, the {jopwI' jo'} is the "recoil
machinery" associated with the wing-mounted {nISwI' tal} "disruptor cannon"
IIRC.

Related verbs:

{yan} "wield, use or manipulate a sword"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level