tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 07:45:25 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: loS (number)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, April 18, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   loS
>Part of Speech: number
>Definition:     four

Used in canon:

loS puqpu'
loS puq
four children TKD

qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
4,000 throats may be cut in one night by a running man. TKD

loS pu'HIchmey
four phasers CK

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga'
  Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was
  encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
Be the first to journey to the 24th century. STX

wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj
Length: 120 M.  (KBoP)

loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
Bridge Height: 16.28 M.  (KBoP)

SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
Landing Formation Height: 36.46 M.  (KBoP)

Hong boq chuyDaH: loS
Impulse Fusion Thrusters ? 4 (KBoP)

>Homonyms:
>     loS (noun) - fourth tone of nonatonic musical scale

Never used in canon.

KGT 73:  The independent words for the numbers three through nine were not
originally a part of the Klingon counting system, but they had to come from
somewhere. The musical scale is the likely source. The word for the fourth
musical tone, {loS}, began to be used for the number four, and so on
through the eighth tone, {chorgh}.

>     loS (verb) - wait (for)

Used in canon:

loS... qIb HeHDaq
It waits... on the edge of the galaxy DS99

DaH maloS.  peghItlh!
[untranslated] (st.klingon 8/96)

FYI from the TV episodes (not canon):

*jIbechrup may' vIloS  [captions]
I am ready to suffer battle.  I wait for them.
["I am ready to suffer.  I wait for battle."] (TNG "The Icarus Factor")

Related verbs:

{pIH} expect;  {ratlh} remain

Cf. also {tuv} be patient;  {mIm} delay;  {lum} postpone, procrastinate

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level