tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 07:58:23 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: jav (number)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, April 15, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   jav
>Part of Speech: number
>Definition:     six

Used in canon:

   He pagh-pagh-vagh-jav-pagh-jav yInab
   Plot course 0.0.5.6.0.6. (ST5 notes)

   jav Hogh maH Qo'noSvo'
   We am... Six weeks out of Kronos. (sic!) ST6

   jav pu'HIchmey tIn
   six big phasers CK

   HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
   [This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.] S33

   jav 'ujmey 'ab SuvwI'
   the warrior has a length of six ujs
   the warrior stands six ujs
   the warrior is six ujs tall (st.klingon 10/22/97)

   loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
   Bridge Height: 16.28 M. (KBoP)

   qughtaHvIS toQDuj HutmaH vI' jav wa' 'uj 'ab 'oH
   Cruise Formation Height: 31.56 M. (KBoP)

   SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
   Landing Formation Height: 36.46 M. (KBoP)

   muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh:  jav
   Atmospheric Take-Off/Landing Thrusters ? 6 (KBoP)

>Homonyms:
>     jav (noun) - sixth tone of nonatonic scale

Never used in canon.

KGT 73:  The independent words for the numbers three through nine were not
originally a part of the Klingon counting system, but they had to come from
somewhere. The musical scale is the likely source. The word for the fourth
musical tone, {loS}, began to be used for the number four, and so on
through the eighth tone, {chorgh}.

>     jav (noun) - prisoner (slang)

Used in canon:

   jav luHpu' 'avwI'
   The guard has caused a prisoner to confess.
   ("The guard has 'yanked a six'.")  KGT

KGT 153:  The origin of this slang usage of {jav} (literally, "six") is
unknown. The usual word for "prisoner" is {qama'} ... This verb [{luH}]
literally means "yank" and is used in such sentences as {jav luHpu' 'avwI'}
("The guard has caused a prisoner to confess"--literally, "The guard has
yanked a six"). Standard words expressing the same notions are {DISmoH}
("cause to confess") and {peghHa'moH} ("cause to not keep a secret").

Pun:

Patrick McGoohan played Number Six in the cult TV show "The Prisoner".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level