tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 10 09:43:05 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ghojmoq (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, April 10, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   ghojmoq
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     nurse, nanny, governess

Never used in canon.

Kahlest was young Worf's *ghojmok* on Khitomer. (TNG "Sins of the Father")

Related nouns:

For a medical nurse use {rachwI'} "invigorator, fortifier, strengthener"
(st.k 10/98).

Is *{ghIntaq} *gin'tak* the male equivalent?  A *gin'tak* is an advisor so
trusted he has been made part of the family; he wears a special ring,
bearing the crest of the House he has pledged his life to defend.  Worf
said, "K'mtar is *gin'tak* to the House of Mogh" (TNG "First Born").  The
elderly Tumek was probably *gin'tak* to the House of Kozak (DS9 "House of
Quark").  Note the metaphorical derivation from {ghIntaq} "battle spear"
(in English we might call such a close, trusted advisor "my right hand").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level