tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 27 09:01:42 2007

Re: puchpa'?

McArdle ([email protected])

--- QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> ... would you mind describing, for the benefit
> of my Australian English, how you define a
> "washroom"? Is it the same thing as a bathroom? From
> what I understand of U.S. English, the term
> "washroom" wouldn't usually be used to describe a
> room containing only a bath and no toilet; such a
> room would be pretty much exclusively called a
> "bathroom". Is this the case?)

bathroom:  Usually, a room with a toilet, with or
without accompanying shower or tub.  Can be used for a
room without a toilet, but this is not the common
case.  Someone who asked "where's your bathroom?" and
was directed to a room lacking a toilet would almost
always be seriously put out.

restroom:  A room with one or more toilets, usually
accessible to the public (we have bathrooms at home
but restrooms in the office).

washroom:  A restroom, with perhaps a stronger
implication that you can wash there (but all restrooms
have sinks, so this is not an important distinction).
Does not, as far as I know, contain bathing
facilities.  Not commonly heard where I've lived
(Northeast & Midwest U.S.) except perhaps in the
old-fashioned phrase "executive washroom" (which
smacks of the world of "How to Succeed in Business
Without Really Trying" more than of contemporary
life).

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

Back to archive top level