tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 22 16:27:36 2007

Re: puchpa'?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'SIv:
>{puchpa'qoq}

wa' DoS wIqIp Quvar jIH je. "toilet" 'oSchu'DI' U.S. Hol mu' "bathroom" mughba' mu' {puchpa'qoq}. puch ngaSbe'chugh pa', {puchpa'qoq} ponglaHbe' vay' 'e' vIHar. {Say'moHmeH pa'} ({Say''eghmoHmeH pa'} ghap, pa'vetlhDaq Say''eghqu'lu'mo') vIlo'.

I agree with Quvar. Successful translation of {puchpa'qoq} obviously depends upon the fact that U.S. English often uses the word "bathroom" when it means "toilet room". If a room doesn't contain a {puch}, then I don't think you can call it a {puchpa'} of any sort, even a {puchpa'qoq}. I'd go with SuStel and use {Say'moHmeH pa'} or a variation of it (since one almost always cleans oneself in a bathroom, my first instinct was for {Say''eghmoHmeH pa'}).

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth? Find out.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseeklearning%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Acon%3Askl%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Acoursetafe&_t=764565661&_r=Seek_learning_AUG07_TAGlines&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level