tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 07:56:52 2007

RE: Klingon WOTD: rop (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >>Klingon word:   rop
> >>Part of Speech: verb
> >>Definition:     be sick, ill

Voragh:

Jonathan Webley wrote:
>Voragh said:
> >Can anyone remember any other diseases, illnesses or syndromes we may have
> >overlooked?
>
>Also relevant:
>{tuS}     - cough
>{chuy}    - sneeze
>{vul}     - be unconscious
>{vulchoH} - faint

More verbs.

Voragh:

Alan Anderson wrote:
>SIQ

Of course!  {SIQ} "endure, bear":

   'oy' DaSIQjaj
   May you endure the pain! PK

   yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ.
   To understand life, endure pain. TKW

   yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
   Live long and prosper! (Radio Times)

and {SIQ} is transitive, unlike {rop} "be sick" or {bech} "suffer".  So
?{poq vISIQ} "I have indigestion" and ?{pom vISIQ} "I've got dysentery"
then?  It works.  And you can modify it with the adverbials {loQ} and
{tlhoy} or the suffixes {-law'}, {-qu'} or {-chu'} depending on the
severity.  Nice.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons