tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 19 17:39:21 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

ja' SuStel:

> You COULD come up with some grammatical description that arbitrarily
> decides that when there's a header in front of the copula there
> can't be
> a predicative,...

...and if you did, you would fail to account for the curse
{ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'} from Power Klingon and the proverb
{loghDaq Suvrupbogh SuvwI'pu' chaH Hoch SuvwI'pu''e'} from The
Klingon Way.  So you're right not to want to do so.

> ...what we really
> need is a grammar that actually describes what happens in the
> language.
> This is what I've tried to do for the Klingon copula.

On that theme, I think it's worth pointing out that you seem happy
applying the term "copula" to a Klingon concept that doesn't always
work the same way as an English copula.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level