tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 06 15:28:31 2007

Re: Prefix and noun agreement (was: usage of type-7 aspect suffix {-pu})

ja' SuStel:

> Alan Anderson wrote:
>
>> The odd thing is that I don't have a big problem treating it as a
>> first person subject when the verb prefix asks me to.
>
> That *is* odd. What would you make of this:
>
>     qorDu' reghom qorDu'

I'd have to get some inflection or body language help in order to be
sure, but my first reaction at the end of the sentence is a
combination of confusion and irritation at having been posed such a
syntactic puzzle. :)

Perhaps I should rephrase what I said in my prior note: I don't have
a big problem treating it as a first person subject when the verb
prefix has already warned me that I should be prepared to do so.

That warning doesn't apply to the first {qorDu'} in your sentence.
I've already heard and mostly fixed it as either a third-person
object or direct address by the time the verb carrying the {re-}
prefix comes by, so I'd have to backtrack in order to reinterpret it
as anything else.  If that happens, I'm no longer just hearing and
understanding; I'm actively analyzing.  So I'm getting the meaning as
it comes in:  "Family - we meet you."  Fine, obviously direct
address, carry on.  (Nobody has a problem with the addressee being a
second-person object, right?  That's pretty much what direct address
means.)

I'm ready for a first-person plural subject now.  No, it's stronger
than that:  I already *have* a first-person plural subject.  Whatever
comes after the verb is going to be interpreted in that context.  So
here comes the second {qorDu'}, then the end of the sentence, and I'm
left with an incomplete understanding of what was meant.  The problem
I have with it isn't really that the prefix fails to match the noun.
What trips me up is that the final noun is the same as the first one,
and I've already pegged {qorDu'} as the entity I'm addressing.  I
have conflicting expectations about it, my process of immediate
interpretation breaks down, and I have to bring the logic/analysis
part of my brain to bear instead of the language/idea part.  Without
too much thought, I'd probably end up considering it as repeated
direct address.  "Hey folks, we meet you, folks."

Make it {qorDu' reghom meb} and it loses the confusing aspect
completely.  I'd certainly pause for a moment to make sure the
speaker was finished, but it seems like a straightforward "Family, we
guests meet you."  That's what I get when I try to watch my mind
interpreting it, anyway.

On the other hand, when I start with "we guests meet you" in English
and try to say it in Klingon, it isn't so straightforward.  I don't
want to *say* {reghom meb}, even though it makes sense to me when I
hear it.  My most satisfying translation is {mebpu' maH; reghom.}
I'm pretty sure I would never even consider trying to express the
idea when thinking in Klingon to begin with.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level