tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 13 07:58:46 2007

Re: mu' chu' - 'el'I'jaH (?)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>Qov:
> >>paqDaq latlh mu' ghaj Okrand 'e' vIlegh. <'el'I'jaH> 'oHlaw'. 'ej
> >>"uninvited guest" 'oS.  mu'vetlh maqbejbe'mo' chaq mu'na' bIHbe'.
>
>QeS:
> >chaq. 'ach mu'na' 'oHchugh tlhIngan Hol qID ngaSlaw' je. chaq {'I'} qID
> >yajlaHbe' tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' - chay' qechvammey lurarlu', "armpit"
> >"uninvited guest" je? - 'ach lughlaw' {'el} {jaH} je: 'el, Sop, ghIq jaH
> >'el'I'jaH.

Voragh:
>>Do we have {'el'I'jaH} spelled right?  Qov, did you hear three separate
>>glottal stops /'/?  This sounds a bit odd for a pun on Elijah (*Eliyahu* in
>>Hebrew) the uninvited/unexpected guest, even for Okrand.

Qov:
>I never heard it pronounced. He opened a notebook and uncovered the
>word. I most certainly could have remembered it incorrectly. I saw it
>only as a Klingonized Elijah. I don't know Hebrew, so I wouldn't have
>recognized Eliyahu. I remembered it as containing all the letters of
>elijaH, with some stops thrown in. It could easily have been
>'elI'jaH. I think Lawrence saw it too, maybe he remembers.

ghunchu'wI':
>  <'el'I'jaH> vIlaDbej jIH.

Voragh:
>>It strikes me that the sequence /'-'-'-H/ in one word would be very
>>difficult for most people to pronounce.  (Not that that would stop Okrand,
>>of course. <g>)

Quvar:
>I do not see any problem here; {'el'I'jaH} follows the typical klingon
>letter pattern (cvc), and is compound of three syllables, which are not
>difficult to pronounce: {'el-'I'-jaH}

Perhaps not for you, but I would guess most native English speakers would
have a bit of trouble enunciating three alifs /'/ in a row clearly.

Voragh:
>>Also, we've only seen the syllable - or even the string - {'I'} once
>>before: in {'I'} "armpit".

Quvar:
>That might be a coincidence; we do have 'a', 'e', 'I', 'o', 'u'.  You are
>right, no other word contains the syllable 'I'.  Do you think of a
>spelling like qelI'qam, Ha'DIbaH or vIlInHoD?

'ISqu':
>The word Okrand wrote in my notebook during last year's qep'a' was spelled
><<'elI'jaH>>. The English translation, written by Lawrence below the
>Klingon word, was "unexpected visitor".

Aha!  Now *that* spelling wouldn't surprise me at all.  Perhaps Okrand got
carried away with the /'/s when he wrote it in that notebook.  Interesting,
that Okrand had already come up with this at least a year ago.  (During a
Seder, perhaps?)  I wonder how many other words he's coined - and Lawrence
knows - there are that we don't know about?

Assuming everyone is remembering this correctly, perhaps
{'elI'jaH}/{'el'I'jaH} exists in two variants.  We've seen this before with
{qItI'nga'} "K'Tinga class (vessel)" which I believe was once seen spelled
{qI'tI'nga'} with an extra /'/ - interestingly next to the vowel /I/ again.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level