tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 30 07:22:54 2006

Re: lopno' wIghajlaH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lay'tel SIvten:
>http://www.positech.co.uk/blog/pumpkin/
>Is {lab} ("transmit data from") used for "broadcast"?

The use of {lab} and lI'} is tricky.  Examples from canon:

   labbeH
   (The device) is ready to transmit data. TKD

   HablI', Su': labbeH.
   Ready to transmit. ST3
   [Probably Valkris' command to her computer: "Data transceiving
    devise, attention: prepare to transmit." (ghunchu'wI')

   labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
   A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. S19

   vIlI'lI'
   I am transmitting (the data). TKD

   yIlI'
   transmit it! TKD

   De' yIlI'. DaH!
   Transmit data. Now! ST3
   (Kruge's instruction to Valkris on the freighter)

{lab} "transmit data (away from a place)" has been used on this List for
"send/upload, post e-mail" and {lI'} "transmit data (to a place)" has been
used to describe receiving a message ("receive/download, retrieve e-mail").

But cf. also {naw'} "access", {tlhuD} "emit (energy, radiation), {rI'}
"hail", {Qum} "communicate".

If I were transmitting a message or a data burst, I'd use {lab} - data is
part of the meaning - but if I were transmitting a simple homing signal or
detonation command I might use {tlhuD}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons