tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 16 09:30:23 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/14

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5:
> >"I need you to drop whatever you're doing and work all night to
> >make this change to your system."
> >{Qu'lIj DajeghchoH 'ej DaHram patlIj DatI'meH bIvumtaH vIneH.}

QeS:
>While I understood {DaHram}, it's not a proper word. I would have said
>merely {Hoch ramvam} "all of this night".

Or just {DaHjaj ram}:

   In Klingon, you could even say {DaHjaj pem} "today's daytime",
   which would probably be typically contrasted with {DaHjaj ram}
   "today's night" (or "tonight"). (st.klingon 6/97)

>Firstly, it's probably a bad idea to tell a Klingon to {jegh} "surrender";
>{lon} "abandon" is a better verb to use here.

{jegh} can be used WRT abandoning a project:

   In Klingon, the word for "surrender", {jegh}, also can be trans-
   lated as "give up", in the sense of abandoning a project. (TKW 89)

A better reason not to use {jegh} is that it appears to be
intransitive.  It has never taken a direct object in our examples, but
{lon} has.

>Likewise, I would use {choHmoH} "cause to change" instead
>of {tI'} in order to keep to the sense of the original.

{choH} appears to be transitive, so {-moH} may be unnecessary:

   DaH Heraj yIchoH
   Alter your course now. (ST5 notes)

   ghopDu' choHpu' Qe'
   The restaurant has altered hands. (KGT)

although there is one example with the suffix, also referring to changing
course:

   HIvHe yIchoHmoH
   Alter the attack course! ST5

--