tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 16 07:41:57 2006

the ballad of the harp-weaver

Elizabeth Lawrence ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

 I have been infected by my own crazy translation project.  I am attempting
to translate the very long and beautiful "ballad of the harp-weaver' by Edna
St Vincent Millay into klingon.  I will try to post one verse a day (so it
should only take a couple months to translate the whole thing).  The sense
ofthe poem, about a mothers love for her child to the point of giving up her
life for him (I'm sure it would be considered an honorable death) translates
very well, but the subject matter does not translate quite so well due to
both vocabulary and culture and so this is in no way a literal translation.
I won't post the whole english poem, just the verse I'm translating, so you
might want to read the whole text somewhere to get an idea of where I'm
going.   "Son," said my mother when I was knee-high "You've need of clothes
to cover you and not a rag have I."   <<puqloD>> jatlh SoSwI' law' ben
jImachtaHvIS <<naH tajHom vIghajbe' 'ach betleH DaghajnIS>>   be''etlh
[1]

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2737??PS=47575

Back to archive top level