tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 20 12:41:50 2006

-nIS [Re: I should kill you where you stand]

In a message dated 11/20/2006 11:55:55 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> FYI here is {-nIS} "need, needs to, must" (V2: volition/predisposition) in
> canon:
>
> vIchennISmoH
> I need to create it. (st.klingon 11/97)
>
> vIleghnIS
> I need to see him/her. TKD
>
> bISopnIS
> You need to eat. TKD
>
> De''e' vItlhapnISpu'
> I needed to get the INFORMATION.
> It was the information (and not something else) I needed. TKD
>
> lupwI' DalIghnIS
> You must ride the jitney. CK
>
> tIqlIj Da'angnIS
> You must show your heart. PK/TKW
>
> DaH jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH
> I must wash my hair now. PK
>
> DungDaq legh 'ej QotnIStaH romuluSngan be'pu'
> Romulan women belong on their backs! (ST5 notes)
>
> DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS
> Attack them now, while we still can! ST6
>
> poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
> The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9
>
> mataHmeH maSachnIS
> To survive, we must expand. TKW
>
> pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
> If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW
>
> bISutlhnISchugh jaghlI' mInDu' tIbej
> If you must negotiate, watch your enemy's eyes. TKW
>
> nIteb SuvnIS DevwI'
> A leader must stand alone ("A leader must fight alone"). TKW
>
> ghob tIvnISbe'lu'
> One need not enjoy virtue. TKW
> ["The Klingon construction {tIvnISbe'} means 'does not need to enjoy';
> {tIvbe'nIS} would mean 'needs to not enjoy', an utterly different concept."
> TKW 48]
>
> bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
> To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW
>
> tIqwIj Sa'angnIS
> I must show you my heart. TKW
>
> yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
> Survival must be earned. TKW
>
> yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'
> Victory must be earned. TKW
>
> batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'
> An honorable death requires no vengeance. TKW
>
> qachuHnIS'a'
> Must I hurl a spear at you?
> (slang: "Do I have to clarify it for you?") KGT
>
> qaleghnIS
> I need to see you. KGT
>
> jaghpu' mo' wIyajnIS
> We must understand the enemies' motive. (slang) KGT
>
> pujnISmoH
> he/she needs to weaken [somebody] (st.klingon 11/97)
>
> Qochbe'nIS
> he/she/they need to not disagree (i.e. he/she/they need to
> agree)(st.klingon 11/97)
>
> QochnISbe'
> he/she/they do not need to disagree (st.klingon 11/97)

Voragh,
Here are some other instances of {-nIS} in canon:

[hf] "I need to find a doctor."
[mo] {Qel vISamnIS.} [CK]

[km] "Then you need to drink sour tea."
[mo] {vaj Dargh wIb DatlhutlhnIS.} [CK]

{bIleSnIS}
You need a rest.    [TKD pp. 52, 171]

{maSopnISbej}
We certainly need to eat.   [KGT p.180]

[km] "Check­out time is five a.m."
[mo] {vagh rep bImejnIS.}
[Lit. "You need to leave (at) five hours."] [CK]

And two instances of {-nIS} with rover {-be'}:

tIvbe'nIS = needs to not enjoy (TKW p. 48)

tIvnISbe' = does not need to enjoy (TKW p. 48)

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level