tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 13:16:27 2006

RE: transitivity

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Voragh wrote:
> > >    jIghung je
> > >    I am also hungry. PK
> > >
> > > {je} applies to the verb:  hungry in addition to
> thirsty
> > >
> > >    jI'oj je
> > >    I am also thirsty. PK
> > >
> > > {je} applies to the verb:  thirsty in addition
> to hungry
>
> DloraH:
> >I take the joke as <je> applying to the subject.
> "I am hungry/thirsty
> >also, in addition to you."  He was replying to the
> prisoner saying he
> >was hungry/thirsty.
>
> So you see no difference between {jIghung je} "I'm
> also thirsty, I'm
> thirsty too" (which are ambiguous in English) and
> {jIghung jIH je} "I, too,
> am thirsty" other than the emphasized pronoun?

I agree with DloraH, and think that you are right
about the emphasis of the above.  In the joke, how
could the first {je} possibly apply to the second
verb,
unless someone is claiming that the guard can see into
the future.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level